Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Because Sometimes I Just Have To Show Off

I just had to post a picture of my wedding ring, since I had bragged that it was custom made! It was such a fun process! I actually got to design it, help create the mold for it, and I did a lot of the carving on the wax (you create a form of the ring in jeweler's wax, then create the mold from that). My father-in-law polished off the original form, cast it and set the diamonds.(The only justification I have for having a diamond that large is... we got it at cost! No other way we could have afforded my ring!) For my engagement ring, it was just the center stone and white gold. Then, for the wedding band we added the smaller round diamonds on each side and the yellow gold bands on the top and bottom. It is actually 3 rings sautered together.
My husband's ring is pretty cool, too. The mold for his was actually made from a braid of my hair. It's all so sappy and romantic, isn't it? We braided a section of my hair at the base of my neck, then cut it off and I think we actually covered it in clear nail polish to be able to create a mold, so the plaster wouldn't all soak in to my hair. The first year of marriage was fun, having a stubby 'tail' that I had to grow back in. Oh, the sacrifice a wife will go through... ha ha!
It was so much fun and one of my fondest memories of our engagement. It was kind of funny, I didn't get proposed to with a ring... but when my diamond had been ordered and arrived, my hubby-to-be had me over to his house and he presented it to me in front of his family. Then, we went to work on the rings together. It was so sweet and made me feel so accepted by his family to have them all around us, excited about our wedding and new life together. And six years later, I still think about that every time I look at my ring!

4 comments:

Nat said...

Those are both gorgeous rings! And what cool memories to go with them!

Miranda said...

You do have the right to brag, it is gorgeous and so original. What an awesome experience.

Janae -- Thoughts in Vinyl said...

I am so glad you posted pictures. That is so neat. It is fun that you have such original rings and the stories to go with them.

Elizabeth said...

That's neat you have such personal rings. I took jewelry casting a couple of semesters ago and I really enjoyed it. I think I have a link to my stuff on my blog. I hope I have room in my schedule in the future to do more metals.