Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thank You, Dan McClincy

Well, today really sucks. My sweetheart brother Mikey took his life one year ago today. I don't know why anniversaries, holidays and his birthday are so much harder than the other days. I miss him all the time and still can't talk about it without completely breaking down. It's not hard to say that that was the worst day of my life. Out of it came some amazing experiences though. My testimony of Priesthood blessings wasa incredibly strengthened, and I have become closer to my siblings in the time since.
I had a very special experience while I was travelling home from the memorial service that I've only shared with a few people. It's very close to my heart and I hold it very special among my life's experiences.
Tyler was only 5 weeks old. We didnt have his birth certificate yet, and needless to say his passport either. I had to go home to Canada, and I couldn't leave Tyler. I made all the preparations I could, calling Border Patrol and asking how I could bring him with me, and got all the hospital documents I could to prove he was my child. We were told there shouldn't be a problem, they understood these we extenuating circumstances. When I arrived at the airport, the man at the ticket counter would not let me board. I spoke to the manager, my husband explained and they still would not let me board without identification for Tyler. In tears, I called my dad. "They won't let me on the plane" I choked out through tears. He calmed me down, said a prayer with me there on the phone in the middle of the airport, and said "Let's get to work."
We both started calling anyone we could find to get clearance for Tyler. I spent 3 hours on the phone, being passed around from person to person, getting nowhere. I hung up, looked at the ceiling in defeat and asked "Where are you, God?"
I was going over different options in my head. Could I drive 18 hours in winter by myself with a month old baby? Would my husband be able to go with me? Would I be alright not making it to see my family? I felt let down and abandoned. Then the house phone rang. It said unavailable Number, and I didn't feel like talking to a telemarketer just at that moment. I let it go to voicemail. Then my cell phone rang. Unavailable Number. I answered. A deep, calm voice on the end of the line asked for me by name. I said yes, this was me. He said "My name is Dan McClincy and I am the Director of Port Operations at the Seattle Tacoma International Airport (where I would be crossing the border and boarding a connecting flight home)." He had talked to my dad and even though he didn't know me from a hole in the wall, was willing to let me use his name if I ran into any more trouble. I would be able to board the plane and make it home to be with my family. I rushed back to the airport to make the next flight. When the same ticket agent gave me grief, I had him call Dan. It was the most satisfying and gratifying thing for me to see him try and explain why he couldn't let me go, then hear silence and the clicking of the keyboard as Dan told him exactly how to let me board. I have seen that agent since at the airport and feel like glaring at him, and in my head I walk up and kick him in the shins. All it took was some sympathy and understanding, and willingness to help a stranger in need.
I made it safely home. I shared memories of Michael at his memorial service, and met a lot of his friends and other people who loved him too. I couldn't help thinking as I looked out at the hundreds of people crammed into the church pews-If only Mike could have seen how many people loved him. A handsome, sweet 19 year old shouldn't have felt so alone with this many people who care about him. I am glad for my belief in the eternal nature of souls, and a loving and merciful God.
Traveling home, we ran into trouble again. The Canadians let us board, no problem. But these dang Americans! Again, in Seattle. As Tyler and I were going through the border, we explained our situation, were handed a large red card, and send to the agent at the end of the line. Not a good prospect. I was asked many questions by a polite man. He looked up at me and asked "Why did you think you would be allowed to carry an undocumented infant across an international border?" My reply was "I spoke with a man named Dan McClincy and he said if I ran into any trouble, I should have that person call him."
The border agent stopped, looked up at me with a little hint of puzzlement and asked "How do you know my boss?"
Fighting grateful tears, I replied that I didn't know him personally, but he had been contacted by my father and offered to help us out. He didn't need to call and verify anything else. The agent let us go, catch our plane and head home.
Thankful seems like such an inadequate word. I have thought about trying to find Dan McClincy to express how much what he did meant to me and my family. I haven't because I am afraid he might not be real. Before I left to head home, I received a blessing that said I would have a guardian angel placed around me who would help me on my journey. I'm not sure if that angel's name was Dan, but I am grateful for how he helped me make it home.
Now I just have to wait to see Mikey again. Even with my belief in eternity, it is difficult to know I have to wait to see him. I will miss not being able to watch him grow and change into an amazing adult...husband...father. I am glad I was able to go home the June before he died. For his 60th birthday, my dad just wanted all his kids to come home. That was the last time I saw Mike. I remember when he gave me a hug, it was a nice big bear hug, and when I went to let go, he still held on. It was like I got 2 hugs for the price of one. I have wondered if I had been a good sister to him. The memory of that hug says to me that at least he loved me. I hope he knows I love him too.

1 comment:

Nat said...

I'm so sorry about your brother. At the same time, though, I can't help but marvel at that beautiful experience that came out of it. Dan McClincy was your guardian angel that day. I'm so glad that you got to go to Canada with his help.